top of page

Boil Water Advisory for Portions of Garden City

Judd Weil-News Director


The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) has issued a boil water advisory as of May 17 for portions of the Garden City, Kan. public water supply system in Finney County.

KDHE stated customers should observe the following precautions until further notice:

• If your tap water appears dirty, flush the water lines by letting the water run until it clears.

• Boil water for one minute prior to drinking or food preparation or use bottled water.

• Dispose of ice cubes and do not use ice from a household automatic icemaker.

• Disinfect dishes and other food contact surfaces by immersion for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.

• Water used for bathing does not generally need to be boiled. Supervision of children is necessary while bathing so that water is not ingested. Persons with cuts or severe rashes may wish to consult their physicians.

The advisory will remain in effect until the conditions that placed the system at risk of bacterial contamination are resolved.

KDHE officials issued the advisory because of a loss of pressure in the distribution system due to a line break.

The affected areas are:

- On Jennie Barker Road from Schulman Drive to US 50 - The area From Spruce Street south to US 50 from US 83 Highway to Farmland Road. - East Garden Village - Prairie Winds - Towns Riverview

Failure to maintain water pressure may lead to a loss of chlorine residuals and bacterial contamination.

Regardless of whether the public water supplier or KDHE announced a boil water advisory, only KDHE can issue the rescind order following testing at a certified laboratory.

For consumer questions, please contact the water system, or KDHE at 785-296-5514. For consumer information please visit KDHE’s PWS Consumer Information webpage at

Restaurants and other food establishments with questions about the impact of the boil water advisory on their business can contact the Kansas Department of Agriculture’s food safety and lodging program at or call 785-564-6767.

bottom of page